Top 5 Benefits of a Standing Desk
Standing desks have become very popular over the last several years. While they are not a new or novel idea, they are being used more now than ever – and with good reason! As many people continue to work from home or return to their offices, some may be thinking about getting a standing desk. If you are one of those people, we’ve got you covered. We have a range of used desks and standing desks from which to choose.
Furniture Soup has several services that could benefit every office that is bringing employees back or adding to their workforce. But Furniture Soup has more than just standing desks for sale; we have extensive knowledge!
There are some key benefits to using a standing desk over a traditional desk. If you are in the Lancaster, Reading, or Greater Phila Area of PA and are considering getting a standing desk, read on!
So what exactly is a standing desk? A standing desk is a desk that you would stand at to do your work instead of sitting. Standing desks come in a variety of designs and layouts. Many modern standing desks are even adjustable to accommodate people of different heights, as well as providing you with the choice of standing or sitting.
So, why would you want to stand at your desk instead of sit?
We are going to go over the top 5 benefits of a standing desk that might change your outlook on this question:
- A Standing Desk May Reduce Back Pain – Have you ever had a day where you were sitting at your desk for an extended period of time, or in a chair during a long meeting, and experienced back pain? If so, you are not alone. Back pain is one of the most common complaints amongst workers who sit at desks. The CDC conducted a study on people who have back pain. They found that after just 4 weeks, people who switched to a standing desk had a reduction of upper back and neck pain by 54%. They also saw that when people reverted to their traditional desk, they started to show signs of back pain after just 14 days.
- A Standing Desk May Help Improve Your Mood – It may seem hard to believe, but a standing desk may even influence how you feel. A study by the National Center for Biotechnology Information showed that participants in their study reported feeling less stress and less lethargic while working and using a standing desk. On top of that, over 80% of the participants felt a boost of energy throughout their day.
- A Standing Desk May Increase Productivity – Some people may have a concern that standing may be uncomfortable and thus hinder employees from being productive. While standing for a longer period of time may take some getting used to, there is little to no evidence to show that a standing desk would decrease productivity. We’ve already gone over the evidence to show that standing desks have been shown to boost energy and improve people’s moods. This would lend credence to the notion that a standing desk could actually boost productivity instead of diminishing it.
- A Standing Desk May Contribute To Less Weight Gain – Sitting for long periods has been directly connected to weight gain. Anytime you take in more calories than you burn, that results in weight gain. Obviously then, burning more calories than you take in could result in less weight gain, and in the cases when exercise and a balanced diet are incorporated, weight loss. Standing for a full day while working on average can burn 170 calories compared to sitting for the same period of time. That is 850 calories per week, just for standing up while working! That is over 40,000 calories per year!
- A Standing Desk May Help Lengthen Your Lifespan – There have been many studies that show a sedentary lifestyle is bad for your health. Not being active can increase your risk of type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and as we discussed earlier, weight gain. By limiting the amount of time you are sitting, you may raise your life expectancy by nearly two years.
Standing desks may not be for everyone, but there are certainly some great benefits if you have one. Furniture Soup wants to help you find a setup that works for you. With our great selection of new & used desks, standing desks, and other office furniture, we can tailor a setup that fits both your needs and your budget.
Serving PA in cities that include Lancaster, Reading and the greater Phila area, Furniture Soup wants to be your only stop for commercial office space needs. Contact us to see how we can help you today!